Sunday, January 28, 2018

Minx Transmission Rebuilt




Mysterious to me, but to Him it's slightly less so.  It's not inside the Minx yet.  He has complaints about one thing and another, but thinks it will work more smoothly in future.  I have to help him now by working a jack.  (Scares me to pieces!  Him under car and me working jack!  Augh!).  I'm away from the jack now.  So far so good.  I would call those long rods transmission rods, but that's probably incorrect.  They're pretty, though, whatever they're called, but I like the gears best.  The car is 58 years old, or maybe 58 1/2.  I don't think this is the first time the transmission's been apart.

Now if the rubber windscreen seal comes, that will be ducky!  Especially if it's the right rubber.  I think He described it as "snakey".  A convoluted shape.  Certainly not straightforward.  Unless I'm making this all up, but why else would he have to special order it from England?  He just wants to get the car out of his motorcycle shop!

2 comments:

Avus said...

H is obviously a competent mechanic. I had a Hillman Husky once in the late '60s (small station wagon version of the Minx). It once had some clutch problems but the gear selection was always sweet.

I do hope he uses axle stands whilst working under the vehicle - an acquaintance of mine was once found, dead, when a car he had been working under slid off the jack and crushed him. Not a good way to go, as he may have been trapped there for some time before found.

Hope the windscreen surround fits OK

Happy 2018 by the way.

Vita said...

Hi, Avus! The gears were grinding and crunching before, but now they're smooth as smooth. I think he said he put in 3 new syncros, but the main problem was a snap ring had popped out of place, and messed up one thing and another. He had to put his hand on it to keep it from popping out of third, but it's wonderful now.

Yes! There was really no danger when I was at the end of the jack handle, but I was still nervous. So sorry about your friend. HH takes every precaution. A friend of ours has a spectacular scar on his face, but he's OK now. We are still waiting for the windscreen rubber. It will probably be a while before we don't have to worry about the weather.

Happy 2018!